To develop effective leadership and management across intercultural boundaries, and maximise the benefits of intercultural diversity.
Who Would Benefit
All leaders, senior managers, managers and project/initiative leaders working with multi-functional and multicultural teams
- Employees who are better equipped and more capable of taking intercultural differences into consideration when carrying out their role.
- Increased potential to nurture cultural diversity and exploit the benefits.
- Reduction of conflicts, misunderstandings and misleading expectations due to cultural differences.
- Improved decision making and problem solving within multi-functional and multicultural teams
By the end of this workshops delegates will be able to:
- Experience and appreciate intercultural differences in new and deeper ways.
- Develop an intercultural mind-set
- Recognise cultural differences
- Demonstrate a positive attitude towards differences
- Apply an intercultural skillset
- Use learning-to-learn frameworks to identify areas of misunderstanding
- Choose and adapt behaviour appropriately in an intercultural context
- Explain the significance and impact of intercultural differences on the role of the manager.
- Display intercultural sensitivity and describe effect this is likely to have on their leadership attitude.
- Describe culture dimensions based on the research of Hofstede, Hall and Trompenaars.
- Apply feedback on their level of intercultural sensitivity and identify areas for improvement
- Identify appropriate and relevant approaches to leadership, problem solving and decision making in an intercultural context.
- Implement an individual personal performance and development a plan to facilitate the transfer of learning into the work environment.
- Pre-work: Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) 4 weeks before the seminar.
- Feedback and evaluation of Intercultural Development Inventory results.
- Ethno-Centrism vs. Ethno-Relativism: personal profile and development needs.
- Delegates current approach to working with multicultural teams.
- Introduction to Cultural Dimensions: Hall, Trompenaars Hofstede.
- Culture Dimensions: Concepts and consequences (leading, decision making).
- Culture Dimensions: Stereotypes - Americans, Europeans (and differences within), Asians (and differences within).
- Identify own preferences - what do these mean in terms of:
- Problem solving.
- Decision Making.
- Team and Individual Development.
- How to capitalise on intercultural differences.
- Managing and leading across intercultural boundaries.
- How to nurture cultural diversity: group work.
- Transfer through personal and team action.
- Personal feedback.
- 1.5 days